Sunday 3 May 2015

TOP 5 INVESTMENT BASICS BOOKS

Sunday 3 May 2015
Which are the books we would recommend unhesitatingly to beginner investors, and perhaps in what order?

I am recording my top 5 beginner investor books. Please pitch in with your favourites with brief comments, so we can all take quick decisions to enrich our reading lists! Beginner investors will perhaps benefit the most, if we do a good job of this, but am sure all of us will be the richer for it.

1. Five Rules for Successful Investing, Pat Dorsey

I wish this book was the first on my reading list. If you want a practical do-it-yourself, step by step tutorial on how to analyse/research a stock in-depth, this is a no contest, hands down winner! My learning curve shot up tremendously after I read this book. By following Pat Dorsey's framework and applying it diligently (took me a month) I

Earlier my investment arguments could not/did not hold the attention of seniors. They would usually pick this or the other hole. That's because I lacked a holistic framework. Suddenly I was talking to them at their level; could hold a meaningful discussion. A big jump for me!

2008: Recommended by Subhankar Ghose, Kolkata; remain eternally grateful

2. Intelligent Investor, Ben Graham

Fascinating first read for me, loved the depth of this book.

Important concepts like "Margin of Safety" and "Mr Market" got driven home. Learnt how to AVOID the usual mistakes!!

2005: I started out with this one and the Peter Lynch book, in tandem.

3. One up on Wall Street, Peter Lynch

This one made investing look so easy. One really didn't need to be a hot-shot analyst to spot winners!

2005: I learnt that it is very much possible to find success on the street, if we keep our eyes and ears open (where are the crowds). ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and Amalgamated Beans (Cafe Coffee day parent) interested me, as a complete newcomer like me tried to apply the Lynch principles. Bought and read along with Intelligent Investor.

4. Common Stocks Uncommon Profits, Phil Fischer

Got some insights into how to separate the wheat from the chaff! The novice got really interested in identifying probable multibagger candidates:)

Found it real hard to apply! Nevertheless the book is a fascinating read, and my interest in identifying excellent businesses got kindled.


5. The future for Investors, Jeremy Siegel

Regular Dividend Re-Investment and staying Invested a in consumer-facing branded Pharmaceutical, FMCG and Tobacco companies has proven to be the best Long-Term Investment strategy of all-time, revealed Prof. Jeremy Siegel's outstanding research for the US market.


0 comments:

Post a Comment